The Monthly Newsletter of
October 2013 Vol. 14, No.10
From the Editor
Those Members who did not attend the business meeting and wish to know the status of the Clubs funds can contact the club Treasurer, Martin Robinson (406)-252-4457.
Think About Turning Today!
October 2013 President’s Message:
We are in full preparation for our Symposium 8 on Sept 28 and 29. Rex Burningham has checked in and is excited about being here. We now have 30 confirmed and paid attendees so it is looking good. I want to thank all those who have volunteered to help make this event successful (set-up, food, lathes, items for auction, prizes, and electronics). Remember… our sessions begin at 9:00 on Saturday and on Sunday. Lunch is provided.
For October 9 meeting please bring the communion cups that you are making for Chaplain McManus. He will be at the meeting to give us a talk on his mission (Rimrock Foundation) and to comment on and select from our communion cups. In case you missed what this is all about: Chaplain McManus saw our demo at the Fair. He asked if we could make communion cups (2 ˝ “tall, 1 ˝ Wide, and 1” in cup depth). I am sure we have the talent. So I challenged the membership to make communion cups for the October meeting and Chaplain McManus will critique our work.
See you at the Symposium.
Roaring 20’s Auto Club clubhouse, 7400 Grand Avenue.
MINUTES (September 11, 2013)
• Health Reports: Member Ellis Wyman accidentally injured two fingers on a
• Show and Tell:
Dr. Van showed his marble tower,
Derrick Reimann showed
pieces he and his family made at the Montana Fair,
Chris Simonsen showed turned pieces that are finished with CA glue,
Paul Spencer showed his turned
corn cob handles
• Report on Montana Fair
Won two ribbons: Best of Show and Judges Award
Every daily assignment was covered, Jerry Gipe covered all open times
• December 11, Christmas Party Potluck, will be celebrated at South Side Senior Center and gifts contest
• Challenge: make communion cups for Chaplain McManus to be presented at November meeting
• Classes at West High will begin on Oct. 16, Paul Spencer is requesting more volunteers
• New members were encouraged to seek help from members. Our members are extremely generous to invite others to their shops to learn the woodturning skill.
• 2 new members joined: Rod Richard, Billings and Kevin Nichols, Red lodge
• Symposium 8, September 27-29, Roaring 20’s Clubhouse, 7400 Grand Avenue
• Friday, September 27:
4:00 Set up, 4:30 Pick up presenter from Airport
• Saturday, September 28:
9:00-12:00 Rex Buringham, Carbide Tools
12:00-1:00 Lunch provided
1:00-4:00 Rex Buringham, Wall Hangings
6:00 Dinner at the Elks
• Sunday, September 29:
9:00-12:00 Rex Burningham, Bowl Turning
12:00-1:00 Lunch provided
1:00-4:00 Rex Burningham, Turning
4:00 Tear down
4:00 Deliver Rex to Airport
• Currently have 30 signed up for Symposium
• Silent auction: bring items!
• Saturday, Sept 28, bring your turnings for Gallery table
• Equipment needed: It seems that this is covered
• Registration Table and check in, Marge Ferrin
• Luncheon on Saturday and Sunday, Carol Reimann
• Cookies: Nick Englander, Marge Ferrin
• Donuts: Martin Robinson
• Host to Rex Burningham: Ron Velin
• Bottled Water: Dr. Van
• Gallery table and auction table: Stan Lambert
Program: Demo: Making a pepper mill presented by Dr. Van and George Oliver
From the Library
Calendar of Events
September 28-29, Yellowstone Woodturners Symposium: Featuring Rex Burningham
October 9th, 7:00 Roaring 20’s Auto Club clubhouse:
November 13th, 7:00 Roaring 20’s Auto Club clubhouse:
December 11th, 6:00 Southside Senor Center: Christmas Potluck and Gifts Contest
Wanted, For sale, Free
This is your area, Email, or phone Paul if you have an item to post here.
A Message From Members
"Creativity Is Allowing Yourself To Make Mistakes.
Art Is Knowing Which Mistakes To Keep."
PRESIDENT: Richard Vande Veegaete (Dr. Van)
VICE PRESIDENT: Stan Lambert (406)348-3499
SECRETARY: Dan Vanderhoof (406)696-5382
TREASURER: Martin Robinson (406)-252-4457
Librarian: Marjorie Ferrin (406) 656-1744
Photographer: George Hoffman (406) 259-9023
Technical Advisor: Newsletter & Website Editor: Paul Spencer (406) 861-6718
Web Site: www.yellowstoneturners.org
“One Good Turn” is the monthly newsletter of Yellowstone Woodturner
Yellowstone Woodturners Club
PO Box 21836
Billings, MT 59104
A local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners.
Map to Meeting Location
“Carbide Tools, How to Select and Use Them”
“Wood Turned Wall Hangings.”
September 28th & 29th, 2013
Roaring 20'S Auto Clubhouse
7400 Grand Avenue
9:00am to 4:00pm
AGENDA (October 9, 2013)
Call for Guests:
Show and Tell:
Report on Symposium 8
How well did it work for us
Did the date work for us
Ideas for next year
Montana Fair awarded the Woodturners $40 for winning and participating at the Hobby Hall
December 11, Christmas Party Potluck, to be at the South Side Senior Center
Election committee, looking for officers
Challenge: make communion cups for Chaplain McManus
Program: Chaplain Mark McManus (Rimrock Foundation) will speak about his mission and
will comment/select the communion cups