The Monthly Newsletter of
February 2012 Vol. 13, No.2
From the Editor
Those Members who did not attend the business meeting and wish to know the status of the Clubs funds can contact the club Treasurer, Martin Robinson (406)-252-4457.
Think About Turning Today!
February 2012 President’s Message:
It is now truly “winter.” The snow is on the ground and temperatures have fallen. But historically, winter is the best time to work at your lathe. It affords us the opportunity to stay warm and to be productive. Much of the heavy sledding for our club has been done (non-profit status, new place to meet, selection of Malcom Tibbets to be our 2012 Symposium presenter), but we are ramping up for a busy 2012. Our first workshop will be on March 17 at Stan Lambert’s shop, Huntley. Our March meeting on March 14 will be dedicated to safety. And don’t forget our regular February meeting, February 8.
See you there. Dr. Van
Meeting place, South Side Senior Citizens Center, 901 South 30 street. (see map below).
January 2012 Meeting Minutes
Ralph Peak was our guest at the meeting.
Cookies: Thanks to Jane for providing the cookies.
: Dwaine is undergoing chemo treatments.
Show & Tell:
- Jerry brought in his plywood goblet and a walnut bowl.
- Darrald brought in a couple of walnut bowls with a tung oil finish, a black locust bowl and a hollow form made form juniper.
Stan brought in a big leaf bowl with a textured rim and a pen made form olive.
Lloyd showed a nice bowl made from pine
Derrick brought in a bowl
Dr. Van showed his latest scrollwork project, a Japanese clock
January balance is approx. $4000.
- We have 26 paid members for 2012. If you still need to pay your dues, contact Martin.
- West High students turned goblets at the December session. The sessions will continue on January 25 where the students will make lidded boxes. Contact Paul or Stan if you want to participate.
- Carol, Jane and Dr. Van will conduct an audit for 2011.
- The Red Lodge Food Bank is having a fundraising auction featuring soup bowls and have asked the club members to donate some bowls. Bowls need to be finished before March 24th. Contact Stan for more details or if you want to make a bowl for donation.
- Interest from some members to maintain/upgrade the library. One suggestion was the acquisition of Tim Yoder’s PBS turning videos.
Dr. Van gave a good presentation on the Saw Stop.
- Open Shop at Stan’s on Saturday, March 17th.
- Annual Easter Egg turning contest at the April meeting.
- Open shop at Dan V.’s tentatively on June 16th.
From the Library
2011 AAW Instant Gallery & Critique
2011 AAW Symposium Techniques Volume One
2011 AAW Symposium Techniques Volume Two
Calendar of Events
Jan 11th 7:00pm South Park Senior Citizens Center, 901 South 30th Street, Billings:
Feb 8th 7:00pm South Park Senior Citizens Center, 901 South 30th Street, Billings:
Wanted, For sale, Free
This is your area, Email, or phone Paul if you have an item to post here.
A Message From Members
"Creativity Is Allowing Yourself To Make Mistakes.
Art Is Knowing Which Mistakes To Keep."
PRESIDENT: Richard Vande Veegaete (Dr. Van)
VICE PRESIDENT: Stan Lambert (406)348-3499
SECRETARY: Dan Vanderhoof (406)696-5382
TREASURER: Martin Robinson (406)-252-4457
Librarian: Marjorie Ferrin (406) 656-1744
Photographer: George Hoffman (406) 259-9023
Technical Advisor: Dan Schindler (406)373-5892
Newsletter & Website Editor: Paul Spencer (406) 861-6718
Web Site: www.yellowstoneturners.org
“One Good Turn” is the monthly newsletter of Yellowstone Woodturner
Yellowstone Woodturners Club
PO Box 21836
Billings, MT 59104
A local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners.
South Park Senior Citizens Center, 901 South 30th Street, Billings
AGENDA (February 8, 2012)
Call for Guests:
Show and Tell:
Report on West High Lathe Classes, Paul Spencer and Stan Lambert
Keep working on soup bowls for the Red Lodge Food Bank and bring them to the March meeting
Joan Kelly Grant to promote turner safety (Mid South Woodturner Guild, Memphis, TN)
Short explanation of what happened to Joan Kelly
We applied for and were awarded $100 specifically to be spent to insure member safety
Present to members: Purchase of 2 bionic face shields from Woodcraft, 56.99 each?... or an alternative
March meeting will be devoted to Turner safety
Presentation of 2 internet safety films
Members bring safety instruments that you have
Members will have opportunity to try specific safety instruments at meeting
Workshop at Stan Lamberts Shop, Huntley, Saturday March 17, 9-3 with Lunch potluck
Theme will be making bowls
March 17 is St. Patrick’s Day
Second workshop will be in June at Dan Vanderhoof’s Shop, Lockwood
Third workshop will be in November at Stan Lambert’s Shop, Huntley
Discuss value of having a “tool library,” Dan Vanderhoof
April 8 is Easter
We will have an Easter Egg Contest at our April 11 meeting
AAW is requesting all members to vote yes on a move to merge its current 501-C-3 non-profit status organized in Texas to include a 501-C-3 organized in Minnesota, the current AAW home
Additional 2012 Possibilities
Summer tree harvest outing
Participation with more community events (Billings Art Walk)
Flyers to Hardware stores
Any 2012 dues not yet paid… the treasurer is collecting